Social Security Statements Now Online
by Kathy Fearrington, CPP, Payroll Operations Manager at Cooperative Payroll Solutions, LLC
The Social Security Administration (SSA) has started offering American workers access to their earnings and benefit statements online versus mailing these to the workers. This tool enables American workers to plan for future retirement opportunities.
To obtain your Social Security Statement online, you must first create a “My Social Security” account with the SSA. Once you have established this account, you can view your Social Security Statement at any time.
To create the account, you must provide personal information about yourself and give the SSA answers to some questions that only you are likely to know. Next step would be to create a user name and password that you will use to access your online account. This process protects you and keeps your personal Social Security information private.
The web site address is: socialsecurity.gov/mystatement
The online statement will provide the following information:
- Estimates of the retirement and disability benefits you may receive.
- Estimates of benefits your family may get when you receive social security or die.
- A list of your lifetime earnings according to SSA records.
- The estimated social security and medicare taxes you have paid.
- Information regarding qualifying and signing up for Medicare.
- Things to consider for those age 55 and older who are thinking of retiring.
- General information about social security for everyone.
- The opportunity to apply online for retirement and disability benefits.
- A printable version of your online Social Security Statement.